If you are a business owner in today’s economy, IT security compliance is something that is likely raging through your mind most of the time. The countless number of regulations and constant updates to industry standards make things even more difficult, and really, who can keep track?
Unfortunately, when you let your compliance efforts slip under the radar, your business will be penalized after unsatisfactory audits begin to accumulate. The best plan? Stay abreast of the latest news in IT security compliance so that your company doesn’t suffer.
If you are overwhelmed with the various IT security standard regulations, we’re here to help. Though there are so many from which to choose, here are four of the more popular standards that are likely to affect you and your business:
- Translated: Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard
- What it Does: Audits your business once a year to ensure consumer cardholder data is protected.
- The Latest: The recent 3.0 update is bigger and more complicated than 2.0—here’s what you need to know.
- Translated: Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act
- What it Does: Regulated by the USDA, HIPPA ensures the privacy and protection of health records, reduces health care fraud, and mandates the health industry standards and processes.
- The Latest: The list of organizations that must comply with HIPPA has recently broadened—check to see who was added.
- Translated: Regulation Systems Compliance and Integrity
- What it Does: Newly adopted by the U.S. Security and Exchange Commission (SEC), this rule requires a heightened grip on IT in the financial securities market.
- The Latest: The November government press release that started it all.
- Translated: Sarbanes-Oxley Act
- What it Does: Protects the general public from fraud and mistakes in accounting from all companies. In addition to the financial departments of these businesses, the IT departments are also affected in their compliance with stored electronic records.
- The Latest: Read all about the current challenges of SOX compliance.
Keeping your company up-to-date on all of the latest security compliance standards can be tricky. With so many different laws in effect, the task might seem unmanageable at times. Before you reach the point of complete exhaustion, give Team Huber a call. We’ll help you through the ins and outs of each regulation that applies to your specific industry.